2014 CanDo Spirit Award Winner Announced
Napa, CA – August 12, 2014
The CanDo Spirit is alive and well in Napa County.
The CanDo Spirit Award, generously sponsored by the Napa Valley Vintners with a $1000 prize, celebrates outstanding work performed by an exceptional, young professional in the Napa County nonprofit sector. All Napa County nonprofits were invited to nominate an employee age 30 or younger. Sarahid Rivera Vazquez of Legal Aid of Napa Valley is this year’s winner.
“Compassionate, patient and extremely caring” with a “never quit attitude” are just a few of the ways Legal Aid’s Executive Director, Diana Dorame, describes this remarkable young woman.
As a bilingual paralegal , certified domestic violence counselor, and Board of Immigration Appeals Representative, Rivera Vazquez sensitively assists clients who are often anxious about their legal issues. Many have been the victims of violent crimes including domestic violence and sexual assault.
In addition, she conducts outreach education programs for members of the immigrant community through organizations such as Napa Emergency Women’s Services, the Napa Valley Grapegrowers and Migrant
While a single mom and full-time professional, Rivera Vazquez maintains balance in her life by participating on a voluntary basis with the Suscol Inter-Tribal Council and performing throughout the Bay Area with a Native American dance group.
Of her commitment to the nonprofit sector, Rivera Vazquez says, “The rewards in working at a nonprofit are always rewards for the heart, never the wallet.” And yet, the services provided by Rivera Vazquez and the attorneys of Legal Aid reward clients by helping to ease their confusion as they learn their rights and navigate the complex legal system. Sarahid’s goal is clear. “I want to continue to be part of change in my community, one family at a time.”
Napa Valley CanDo, the Napa Valley Vintners, and representatives of the 2014 Give!Guide’s 40 featured nonprofits will honor Ms. Rivera Vazquez at the Give!Guide kick-off party November 6 at Napa Valley College. The event is free and open to the public.
2014 “Fab 40″ Announced
Napa Valley CanDo is excited and honored to present this year’s “Fab 40,” a group of fabulous nonprofits serving Napa County.
These small, medium and large organizations support the arts, animals, education, environment, health and wellness, seniors and youth, and community. They will be featured in the 2014 Napa Valley Give!Guide which seeks to inspire a community of givers during the months of November and December, 2014.
If you’re familiar with them, you know what good work they do. If they’re new to you, CanDo’s 2014 Napa Valley Give!Guide will offer an opportunity to “meet your neighbors”.
- Active 20/30 Club
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North Bay
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Napa Valley
- Community Action of Napa Valley (CAN-V)
- Church Women United of the Napa Valley
- Community Resources for Children (CRC)
- Connolly Ranch
- Cope Family Center
- Enchanted Hills Camp for the Blind
- Family Service of Napa Valley
- Foster Kids Fund
- Girls on the Run Napa Valley
- If Given a Chance
- Loving Animals Providing Smiles (LAPS)
- Legal Aid of Napa Valley
- Moving Forward Towards Independence
- Napa Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
- Napa County Historical Society
- Napa County Resource Conservation District
- Napa Humane
- Napa Solano Audubon
- Napa Valley Adult Education (NVAE)
- Napa Valley Community Housing (NVCH)
- Napa Valley Education Foundation (NVEF)
- Napa Valley Hospice & Adult Day Services (NVHADS)
- Napa Valley Youth Symphony
- Napa Emergency Women’s Services (NEWS)
- Napa Valley College – Child Development Center
- Puertas Abiertas Community Resource Center
- Rianda House Senior Activity Center
- Rohlffs Manor
- Habitat for Humanity (Solano – Napa)
- Sunrise Horse Rescue
- Teacher Resource Center of the North Bay (TRCNB)
- The Pathway Home
- The Table
- Up Valley Family Centers
- Up Valley Girl Scouts
- Vine Village
- Wildlife Rescue Center Napa County (WRC)
- September 1: Hold Funds Authorization Letter from Board President due
- October 1: Incentives due for G!G distribution
- November 1: G!G catalogs delivered as pullout in Marketplace Magazine
- November 1: NapaValleyGiveGuide.org launches to accept donations
- November 6: Kickoff celebration 5:30-7:30PM, Napa Community College Performing Arts Center – Paul Ash Lobby
- December 31: Give!Guide website closes for donations (midnight)
Please contact us with any questions at CanDoGiveGuide@gmail.com or call 707.252.7743.